RSS

Mattie

Been up most the night, seems like I am a night walker once again. The sun is over rated anyway. Besides stray animals are most active at night...

My sister and I were making our normal drive around town, we love to drive and we do it for no reason, other than to relax, we are driving through flo town. Two dogs ran in front of the car and I skid to a stop and we both squeak...yes squeak... we look at one another and sigh, at this point we think dogs are drawn to us...just don't ask by the end of my blog it will make more sense. I go around the block and she jumps out and calls to the dogs, the lab mix jumps in the car and licks my face. "Hi human!" I get the lab in the back seat while my sister walks to try and get the husky mix, let's skip ahead 2 hours and some change we still don't have the husky. 

We give up for now, and finish our drive with the lab in tow, we find out the lab is a she and loves to lick, random licks on the back of my head and I nearly wreck the car...lol "something touched me!" We drive past our favorite gas station, and my sister says "stay there kitty" I auto tap the breaks, god lord please please stay there kitty. An hour later we pass the same gas station and the cat is still under the red truck, so we pull up and grab something to drink, we are talking to the girl at the counter and she tells us the cat seems friendly but was in bad shape maybe mange or other problems. I give the look to my sister and she asks where I want to stick the cat since we already have the lab in the back seat, I shrug and pout. Thinking not much of it, she was right and that just wouldn't have ended well for anyone. I come out of the bathroom and my sister is gone, I check the car, and she is holding the cat on her lap!!!!!! ....Wait what? The clerk comes outside when I told her we were able to get the kitty and she dies laughing, squeaking leaning against the building as the lab head is sticking out the back seat window whining while the cat is curled up on my sisters lap. Welcome to our lives.

A once over on cat we can see it's matted badly, I have never seen a cat this bad it couldn't even jump, or stretch out the mats started under the chin and were all the way down to the tip of the tail and between the pads of it's feet. My sister points out it's also DeClawed, the thought just made me sick to my stomach and still does. Now everything you expect from a feral cat, scared, bitty, you know not want to be around humans much less in a car with a dog and human. But nothing, it was purring and made itself comfortable, we decided i would take the cat home and she would take the lab since she had a fenced in yard. We laughed the next day how the cat person got the dog and the dog person ended up with the cat...Still not sure how that happened. 

 As you can see from the pictures the cat was outside for months, declawed, and just surviving. Yet it didn't turn feral, she still loves people. Since we picked her up we have started to shave her little by little since we don't have any sedatives to keep her calm it's a long and can be painful the hair is so badly matted all over her body it's pulling at her skin. Ever had a really bad knot in your hair or other areas, think about if you pulled on it for weeks or months straight. And on top of the mats she has been outside with no claws to defend herself or to hunt I make no attempt to hide how I feel about declawing a cat, most people think it's like trimming your nails, but it's not...not even close. 

I am sorry but if your think this is better than scratches on your couch, than maybe you shouldn't own an animal. 
 
And honestly most people are just unaware of what declawing really is. But I will leave all that for another post.


It's been almost a week since we have picked up the lab and the cat, and no one has claimed either. So we are in luck we have such a wonderful rescue here in our town Pet Project is helping us foster both and even allowing us to use their vets so we can make sure both are in good health and ready to find forever homes. I have named the cat Mattie for all the mattes on her body, she is a sweet and loving girl very forgiving and lovable she always has to be close to someone and when I seen she likes to be close to my chest maybe the heartbeat is relaxing. I will let you know what the vet says once we get all the test back for both animals. 

If you would like to sponsor or donate it would mean a lot to us, all funds go right back into an animal, be it food and water or testing, vaccines. 











  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: